Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hygrophila Pinnatifida

A year ago, I came across this Youtube video and wanted the plant to be on my wish list.


When C328 had a pot without any name on it, I was skeptical and gave it a shrug as some kind of non aquatic fern . Today, I still wonder what I saw at C328 was indeed the above plant.
 
However, I have forgotten about it until I saw this plant being sold at SV. It was pricey for a small pot with few "tiny" leaves, which deterred me from buying.  

Today, Green chapter has displayed a "Hygrophila Pinnatifida" themed tank which drew my attention again. Here are couple of photos. My apology  for the blurry background picture due to sunny sky outside the shop.



I observed how the plants grew and screamed silently "I must have this!". The manager quoted me a price (so, so much cheaper than those at SV) and by quantity of 3 stems (not just leaves)!!! I drooled upon it when the manager uprooted the plants for me. OK, I exaggerated but this india's "wild weed"  is not a regular guest in many LFS nor have I seen them in many LFS.  

The leaves texture, is very unlike common straight-cut or oval in shape, will make your aquarium stand out quite differently in terms of flora diversity - shapes and colors.











They are now sitting at the backdrop of  my tank...hmmm, my tank always seemed to have space for every new plants acquired...hahaha..*evil laugh* .  Will keep an update of this india's wild "weeds" as time passes.











Anyway, I found the following blog quite useful when trying to recall this plant's scientific name.
http://botanick.blogspot.sg/2010_12_01_archive.html

My initial purpose to GC today is to get some Fire Red shrimps, but found non except a tank full of "painted red" shrimps which, of course, is beyond my budget.  Without wanting to leave place with plant alone, I bought some Giant Malayan Shrimps and hope they play their color well, as in my previous post on Giant Malayan Shrimp.


















No comments:

Post a Comment