Sunday, November 27, 2011

Eheim 2213







I have been reading a lot about this canister lately and pondered whether it would be necessary to get this for my 2feet 35 gal/125ltr tank. Having transferred at least 500 shrimps into my new tank recently, my Eden 501 seemed unable to cope, at least I thought. The water in the heavily planted tank with so many shrimps look quite "cloudy" and no sign of clearing up after 3 days. To make matter worse, the peatmoss I installed has melted in Eden and darkened the color of my water. I would have continue with Eden if I have not transferred so many shrimps. After installing Eheim, I wanted to make comparison between Eheim and Eden as follows:

1) Eden is easy to wash and rinse and scooped out shrimplets if they accidentally got sucked in.
(it might be challenging to scrub the scum off eheim pipes nearly 1 meter long and with so many layers of filter pads/media. I wonder if shrimplets can be easily extracted)

2) Eden pipes connecting to canister and other tubes have its individual tightening ring to provide additional safety lock to avoid leakage.
(Eheim pipe connecting to the rainbar and suction tube has to be manually pushed to tighten the grip, as in above photo, without any lock mechanism like Eden. Thus the eheim brand pipe must be strong and tight to ensure no easy leakage & breakage over time).

3) Eden is extremely light but Eheim is very heavy once filled with water.

4) Eden canister inflow/outflow nozzles are located on its top cover, whereas Eheim 2213 nozzle is separated with top canister for outflow and bottom canister for inflow. It nearly flooded my floor when I filled up the water today, as the water began to flow thru the lower nozzle without any mechansim to block the leak. The only prevention of unncessary flood is to plug in the pipe to the lower nozzle and connect it to the tank before filling up the canister with water. Thus, the water will flow directly into the tank when topping up the canister.

5. Eden cover and container are secured by strong push-lock. Eheim canister is secured by "4 pins & clips" to its container and need to handle with care to avoid breakage because pins and clips are rather small and light.

However, my first good impression about Eheim 2213 is its filteration mechanisem - it comes with layers of different type of sponge/pads and ceramic ring/subtrate pro. The flowrate is good for my 35 gal tank if the rainbar is faced inward to hit the wall thus preventing the current from turning my tank into tornado.

Noise level is as silence as my Eden. Overall, forumners have given these two brands a very good review in the past. Eden good for upto 60ltr tank, Eheim 2213 good for 80-250 ltr tank both with equally lower watt consumption of 5w & 8w respectively.

My mind should be at ease now regardless how many shrimps are going to multliply inside the tank. No more dusty water to worry about with such "huge" acquisition in terms of size and cost and hopefully a reliable quality product that I had already experienced with using Eden 501.

No comments:

Post a Comment